According to the Environmental Working Group’s 10th Annual Sunscreen Guide, after surveying over 750 products made by everyone from major beauty brands to indie ones, about 75 percent of the options on the market are guilty of inferior sun protection or containing red-flag chemicals like potential hormone disruptor oxybenzone and retinyl palmitate, which can actually make skin damage more likely.
So how can you know what’s trustworthy enough to slather on during a beach weekend? The editors at Well + Good road-tested physical sunscreens—meaning they’re all mineral based—that top the honor roll, for not only being clean and effective, but also for blending nicely, and causing zero itching, burning, or breakouts.
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Sheer Physical Defense SPF 30 ($38)
- Elemental Herbs All Good Zinc Sport Sunscreen SPF 33 ($12)
- Goddess Garden Organics Facial Sunscreen SPF 30 ($15)
- BeautyCounter Protect All Over SPF 30 ($32)
- Badger Tinted Sunscreen SPF 30 ($14)
- Pratima Neem Rose Face Sunscreen ($36)
- Suntegrity Natural Moisturizing Face Sunscreen & Primer, Broad Spectrum SPF 30 ($45)
- Juice Beauty SPF 30 Sport Moisturizer ($16)
- Lavanila The Healthy Sunscreen Sport Luxe SPF 30 ($22)
- Babo Botanicals Clear Sport Stick SPF 30 ($10)
- MyChelle Sun Shield Coconut SPF 28 ($16)
Read full article at Well + Good